Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's Your Legacy?

As with any goal in life, it helps to start with the end in mind.  If I were going to go on a trip, I would first identify where I wanted to go - and then I would find a map to figure out how to get there.  (because I'm a guy, so stopping and asking for directions is out of the picture!)  The same is true if I wanted to build something: I would first determine what I wanted to build - and then I would figure out what I needed to get it done.  It's a pretty straight forward process that we apply to most things in our lives - from retirement plans to extracurricular activities.  Unfortunately, we usually do not follow that same approach when it comes to our spiritual lives.

If I asked you what your spiritual plans are for you and your family, how would you answer?  Most of us would probably give some sort of generic answer like: "I want to grow closer to God" or "I want my kids to grow up to be good people".  But those aren't really plans, are they?

It's ironic that the thing that should be most important in our lives - our relationship with God - is often the last thing on our minds.  Oh, we have great intentions as we plan and schedule everything else under the sun, but somehow we assume that we'll be able to fit in time with God somewhere along the way.  But it never happens that way, does it?  Just like my trip - I may want to go to a specific destination but without intentional efforts to help me get there, the odds are that I'll never make it.

If we apply this principle to our spiritual lives, let's fast forward to the end to see where we want to go. (For the sake of this post, I'm going to assume that you've already taken care of the salvation issue between you God.  But if not, do that first - before proceeding any further!)  Imagine yourself listening in at your own funeral.  What do you think your friends and family would say about you? That you were a good person - or always had the coolest car?  Maybe you were funny or made a lot of money (to leave behind)?

Now think about what you wish they would say.  That you loved God and had a positive impact on every person you came into contact with?  That it was very evident that you loved your family/friends and always made time for them?  It's funny how our priorities can change so suddenly when we think about life from an eternal perspective!

If you died today, how satisfied would you be with the legacy that you left behind?  If we're honest, I think most of us would say that we're not satisfied at all.  James 4:14 says, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."  The reality is that this world is not our home.  God has place in store for us that is beyond anything we can think or imagine!  But yet, so often we live our lives as if this world is all that matters.

Let me challenge you to take time today to think about your legacy. But don't stop there!  Once you determine where you want to go, start making plans to help you get there.  It won't happen by chance - and Satan will do everything in his power to try to distract you from what's really important.  But if you persevere and follow your plan, it will make a world of difference (actually, an eternal difference!) - both for yourself as well as for your family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment